Search This Blog

FMS eNews 11/01/14

As I was about to upload this week's eNews my laptop stopped working.  Unfortunately I had not saved all my copy on Dropbox.  I managed  to reassemble some of the items but it is not as comprehensive as I would have liked it to have been.  I am now working on my desk PC which does my back no favours!


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

WORDz for the WEEK

150.  You'll only say life is not worth living because you don't have 'the right' shoes once ..... until you see someone with no feet.


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


From Adrienne Dellwo

Most of us have heard a slew of thoughtless, hurtful, inaccurate comments about our illness(es.) Is there a way to make them stop? Get some ideas for what we can all do, below.
Also this week, a few things you might like to know about food and  your symptoms, and a look at your feedback about what you'd like more of in 2014.
Information about some of our symptoms and how to deal with them is down in Featured Articles.

http://specials.about.com/service/newsletters/chronicfatigue/3052cb0b85000113f80025fb.htm

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


Fibromyalgia Pain

Whether you are experiencing painful tender points, deep muscle pain, chronic headaches, unending back pain, or neck pain, you know how fibromyalgia feels. People with fibromyalgia experience pain in ways no one else can really understand.  But what is pain? What causes it? Is fibromyalgia pain acute (short term) or chronic (long term)? And what impact does fibromyalgia pain have on every part of your life?

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide/fibromyalgia-pain?ecd=wnl_fib_010714&ctr=wnl-fib-010714_ld-stry&mb=


<><><><><><><><><>

11 Tips for Living With Chronic Pain

1. Learn deep breathing or meditation to help with chronic pain.
Deep breathing and meditation are techniques that help your body relax, which eases pain. Tension and tightness seep from muscles as they receive a quiet message to relax.

Read this and 10 more here
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/11-tips-for-living-with-chronic-pain?ecd=wnl_cbp_010714&ctr=wnl-cbp-010714_ld-stry&mb=


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


Life is Not Fair, But Can You Still be Happy? by Rebecca Richmond

My clients often say things like "I wish I had your life; I wish I was you" and whilst I can understand this, because I have a great life and don't know anyone happier than me, I do have to question them on their logic.
• Would they really want to work with people as I do?
• Is public speaking something they would really enjoy?
• Despite being very healthy, I am constantly monitored to ensure my tumors don't return, would they really
want this invasive monitoring?
In reality, what they really mean is they wish they could be as happy as I am ... and that is entirely achievable
because how happy we are is directly related to the things we think about.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17459523/FMS_eNews/Forget_Fibro-14.01.11.pdf


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


Will Leading Technology Help us With Chronic Illness? 



 I just watched a youtube video about Watson.  Some of you may recognize this computer as the one that played the game Jeopardy on television.  It has been designed to have cognitive computing intelligence.  The video I watched, What will you do with Watson, got me thinking about technology and medicine.  In a partnership between MSK (Memorial Sloan Kettering) and IBM, they'll be using Watson in the fight against Cancer. After watching a few videos, I began to have contrasting feelings around the concept of Watson assisting with patients.  Posing the question, what would I do with Watson, I immediately went to my experience with Fibromyalgia.......

http://seekingthegiftsoffibromyalgia.blogspot.com.au/


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


Oh What a Pain in the… 
A humorous, no holds barred look at life with physical and emotional pain. 

Several months ago I made the conscious decision to cut back on the narcotics I was taking to control my chronic pain.  For two and a half years I have been prescribed a variety of medications, including narcotic to control my pain.  I made this decision, on my own, for various reasons, most of them financial (being that I won’t be able to afford pain management and prescriptions following my divorce next month), but also because I realized that the medication was no longer very effective in treating my pain. When a pain management appointment a few months ago led to discussions about increased dosages and very strong medications, I realized that at age 34, I was heading down a slippery slope.  If my pain was not being controlled now, what would happen if my much degenerated spine were to need another surgery requiring pain medication in later years?  The answer: I would be out of options.


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>


Daily Newsletter, Jan. 3rd, 2013

Daily Newsletter, Jan. 6th, 2013

Weekly Newsletter, Jan. 7th, 2013

Daily Newsletter, Jan. 9th, 2013


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Here's hoping my rescue operation has proved to be adequate for you.  If I get my laptop working again I might be able to put any escaped items into next week's offering.  I hope you are progressing well with your New Year's resolutions.
Kindest regards
Stella


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>



<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

N.B.  I would like to point out to you that the information in my FMS eNews blog is passed on to you mainly from other sources. Links are given to the original articles. I take no responsibility for their accuracy but freely give them publicity if I think they might be of interest to my readership. Sites I refer you to are for information only. They might conflict in their opinions, they might not even be medically sound, but I merely offer them for you to peruse and make your own judgements, accept or reject as you will. Only by reading widely can we get an overall picture of fibromyalgia syndrome and how we can deal with its symptoms, learn to cope with them and still have a life. Any advice or recommendation of a medical or legal nature should always be discussed with a qualified professional.
I also include various awareness items, benefits issues, as well as general health considerations. Anyone wishing to reproduce any of the included items in printed form should seek permission from the originators.
Wordz for the Week are from ‘Wordz for the Day’ by Donnie Kuhn, Sr. who died in May 2011.
This eNews is my personal offering to fibromyalgia sufferers and their carers and is not related to any other organisation or charity.
If you don’t already get reminders when each new FMS eNews is posted, please send an email to fmsstella@gmail.com and you will be added to the emailing list.